Belle & Mr. Tom Pet Odor Eliminator Candle with a Wick Trimmer and a Wick Dipper

Belle's Guide to Candle Care and Safety: A Frenchie's Perspective

Woof, my fellow pet lovers and candle enthusiasts! It's me, Belle, the adorable (if I do say so myself) Frenchie mascot of Belle & Mr. Tom Pet Odor Eliminator Candles. Today, I'm here to share some tips and tricks on candle care and safety that even a dog can understand, so, grab a bone, sit back, and let's get started!

Candle Care and Safety Tips

1. Location, Location, Location!

Just like finding the perfect spot for your dog's bed, choosing the right place for your candle is essential. Place your candles in a well-ventilated room and keep away from fans, air conditioners, or open windows. Keep your candles away from the edge of the table or shelf, and make sure they're not near any flammable objects like your dog's tail or your cat's whiskers!

2. Trim That Wick!

A wick trimmer to trim the wick on a candle.


Before you light a candle for the first time or relighting a used candle, always trim the wick to 1/4 inch. Wicks that are left long or crooked can cause uneven burning, dripping, flaring and sooting. Re-lighting a wick that has "mushroomed" can lead a wick to crackle and pop and release soot into the air and onto your candle container. Trimming wicks will prolong the life of your candle and will help it burn evenly and prevent it from smoking like a fire hydrant. A wick trimmer is a very useful tool for trimming wicks and of course you can purchase a wick trimmer from Belle & Mr. Tom!

3. Let it Burn, Baby, Burn!

When you first light your candle, let it burn long enough for the wax to melt all the way to the edge of the container. Candles should burn 1 hour for every inch in diameter of the actual candle size. Belle & Mr. Tom candles are 3 inches in diameter across and should burn for 3 hours the first time to liquify or to melt from edge to edge of the container. This will prevent your candle from tunneling, which is when the wax only melts in the center, leaving a ring of unmelted wax around the edge. It's like when you eat all the good bits of kibble and leave the rest in the bowl. Once a candle has a "memory ring", it will continue to tunnel for the life of the candle.

4. Keep an Eye on It!

Candles are like puppies: cute, but if you take your eyes off them for a second, they'll set the house on fire. Always keep your candles in sight and out of the reach of children and pets and never leave them unattended. 

5. Don't Blow it Out!

A wick dipper used to dip the wick into the wax to extinguish the flame.

Instead of blowing out your candle like a birthday cake, use a candle wick dipper. Blowing out candles without any tool can cause excess smoke, a strong burnt aroma, plus can cause hot wax to blow out of the container and onto your wall or candle surface. Plus, using a wick dipper makes you look like a sophisticated candle connoisseur! This simply brilliant and easy to use tool provides a smoke-free, cleaner option for extinguishing your candles. Simply dip the wick into the melted wax pool, and voila! The flame is extinguished without the hassle of smoke and rogue candle debris. And, once again, you can purchase the perfect wick dipper from Belle & Mr. Tom!

6. The Four-Hour Rule.

Candles are like vampires: they should never be out for more than four hours at a time. Extinguish your candle after four hours, or when the wax has melted to within 1/2 inch of the container's edge. Burning a candle for longer than 4 hours can cause carbon to collect on the wick and cause the wick to "mushroom". This can cause a dangerously large flame. It will also cause it to smoke and release soot. It is also a good idea to let a candle cool for at least 2 hours before relighting. Plus, who has time to burn a candle for more than 4 hours anyway? We have naps to take!

7. Keep it Clean!

After your candle has cooled, make sure to clean up any wax residue or debris that may have accumulated on the surface. This will keep your candle looking clean and pristine, like a freshly groomed poodle. Debris left behind can add more fuel to the candle and can cause the flame to flare up.

There you have it, folks! Belle's Guide to Candle Care and Safety. Now go forth and enjoy your candles, but remember to be safe and responsible. And if you need a candle that will keep your home smelling fresh and pet odor free, check out our Belle & Mr. Tom Pet Odor Eliminating Candles. Trust me, they're the cat's meow!

Until next time, this is Belle, signing off. Woof!



Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.